North America Data Privacy Statement
This Data Privacy Statement is intended for US and Canadian residents only.
Please regularly review this Data Privacy Statement, as We may change our policies to ensure that We adhere to legal and regulatory requirements.
On occasion, Ottobock may offer Apps, special programs, activities, events or promotions (“Programs”) that have unique or additional specific terms, privacy notices and/or consent forms that explain how any information You provide will be processed in connection with the Programs. You should review the applicable terms before interacting or participating in the Programs.
By voluntarily providing Us with information including Personal Information (as defined below) and accessing the Ottobock Services, You are consenting to Ottobock’s collection, use and disclosure in accordance with this Data Privacy Statement. If You do not agree to have Your information used in any of the ways described in this Data Privacy Statement, You must discontinue use of the Ottobock Services and not provide us with any information including Personal Information.
Website Data Privacy Statement
Ottobock’s website data privacy statement explains how We collect, protect, and use the information that We receive based on Your use of the Websites.
This Data Privacy Statement was last revised as of the date shown at the top of this page and may be subject to change at any time and for any reason. We ask You to review this Privacy Statement each time You visit this web site.
Information Ottobock Collects
The information We receive, and how We use it, depends on what You do when You use the Ottobock Services. Ottobock collects and uses the information that You provide, including both Personal Information and/ or non-Personal Information (information that does not personally identify You).
Personal Information Ottobock Collects
“Personal information” is information that identifies You as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. Examples of Personal Information collected by Ottobock via the Ottobock Services may include, depending on Your use of the Ottobock Services, Your:
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- Residential Address
- Account number
- Browsing history and IP address
- Device information
- Geolocation data
- •Any other information that identifies or could identify You and relates to You
Personal information may also include sensitive information, such as health information.
How Ottobock Collects Personal Information
Ottobock may collect Your Personal Information in several different ways, depending on Your use of the Ottobock Services:
- Registration, purchase and use of the Ottobock Services: Information You give Us permission to collect from You or another source. For example, You give Us permission through our Mobile Apps, such as when You configure Your prosthetic device or when You register for a MyOttobock Account.
- Communications: Personal information such as name, email address, and other information, may be collected, when provided in any communications, whether via email, social media, telephone or otherwise.
- Support: Personal information may be collected in connection with customer support, whether via screensharing, email, social media, telephone or otherwise.
- Surveys and Research: We may collect personal information from anyone participating in research and surveys.
- Information We Automatically Collect: We receive and store certain types of information whenever You interact with us or our Services. Our Websites use “cookies,” tagging and other tracking technologies. This information includes computer and connection information such as statistics on Your page views, traffic to and from our Websites, referral URL, ad data, Your IP address, and device identifiers; this information may also include Your browsing history, transaction history, and Your web log information. We may collect information automatically from devices You use to connect to Ottobock Services.
- Information From Social Media and Other Sites: When You interact with our Services on a social media platform, We may collect the personal information that You make available to publicly on that page, including Your account ID or username.
- User Comments and Content: If You post any comments or content on our Websites, You should be aware that any personally identifiable information You choose to provide there may be read, collected, or used by third parties. We are not responsible for the information You choose to submit and We cannot guarantee that third parties have not made copies of or will not use such information in any way.
- Information From Other Sources: We may supplement the personal information We collect with information from third parties and add it to Your account information. Information from third parties may include, but is not limited to, demographic information that is publicly available, additional contact information, group affiliations, occupational information, and educational background.
You may choose not to provide Ottobock with certain information, with the understanding that this might affect Your ability to use the Ottobock Services. If You choose to submit any Personal Information relating to other people, You represent that You have the legal authority to do so and permit Us to use the information with this Data Privacy Statement.
How Ottobock Uses Your Personal Information
How Ottobock uses Your Personal Information depends on how You interact with the Ottobock Services. Generally, Ottobock may use Your Personal Information in support of the following purposes, to:
- Provide our products and services to You and develop and improve our products, services and content
- Develop new products and services
- Fulfill Your requests
- Provide customer service
- Send You administrative communications regarding Ottobock’s products or Ottobock Services
- Invite You to participate in surveys about our products or services
- Better understand the interests of our customers and visitors who use Ottobock Services
- Maintain Ottobock’s online services such as the Websites, Mobile Apps and other services relating to the Ottobock Services
- Monitor, detect and prevent fraud, improper activity and ensure Ottobock’s policy compliance
- Evaluate how You and other users interact with the Ottobock Services
- Protect Ottobock and our users
- Secure our online services including our network, Websites and Mobile Apps
- Conduct audits related to our current interactions with You
- Debug the Ottobock Services to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality
- Defend ourselves in litigation and investigations and to prosecute litigations
- Comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
- Ottobock may also use information collected from You or about You to offer You customized content, including to: (1) recognize new or past visitors to our Websites and Mobile Apps; and/or (2) remember Your personal preferences
- Ottobock may also use Your information for other purposes as consented to by You from time to time.
How We use Your location information: Some of Our Mobile Apps and mobile-optimized websites may have location-based features. To deliver these features, We may collect and use location data provided by Your mobile device. By using such Ottobock Services, You consent to the collection and use of Your mobile device location data for purposes of delivering these location-based features.
How We use log data: When You access the Ottobock Services, our servers may automatically record information (“log data”), to support the Ottobock Services You request and use, including information that Your browser sends whenever You visit a website or Mobile App or Your Mobile App sends when You are using it. This log data may include Your Internet Protocol address, the address of the webpages You visited that had Ottobock features, browser type and settings, the date and time of Your request, how You used websites and cookie data.
How We use Your device information: In addition to log data, We may also collect information about the device You are using to access our Ottobock Services in support of the Ottobock Services You request and use, including what type of device it is, what operating system You are using, device settings, unique device identifiers and crash data. Whether We collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device You are using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether You are using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information Your device may make available to Us, please also check the policies of Your device manufacturer or software provider.
How Ottobock Shares Personal Information
Ottobock may share Your information with its subsidiaries and affiliates.
We do not sell Your Personal Information, except in conjunction with a corporate sale, merger, dissolution, or acquisition. If Ottobock sells all or part of one of its product lines or divisions, Your information may be transferred to the buyer. In our usual course of business, We will share some Personal Information with unrelated companies that We hire to perform services or functions for Us. Specifically, We share Personal Information with our vendors, contractors, business and service partners, or other third parties with whom We contract (collectively, “Service Providers”). Examples of Service Providers include analysis firms, advertisers, payment processing companies, customer service and support providers, email, IT services and SMS vendors, web hosting and development companies and fulfillment companies. For example, We may use different vendors to create content for the Websites or to deliver the information You requested. Service Providers also include our co-promotion partners for products that We jointly develop and/or market with other companies. Some Service Providers may collect personal data on behalf of Ottobock. These Service Providers may be provided with access to personal data needed to perform their functions. In these cases, We may provide the vendor with Personal Information to process Your order such as Your name and mailing address. In all cases in which We share Your Personal Information with a third party, We require them to sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement. We will not authorize them to keep, disclose or use Your information with others except for the purpose of providing the services We asked them to provide.
We may also disclose Your Personal Information to Our financial, insurance, legal, accounting and other advisors that provide professional services to us. We may disclosure Your Personal Information in the event that We are (i) subject to negotiations for the sale of Our business or part thereof to a third party, (ii) are sold to a third party or (iii) undergo a re-organization, We may need to transfer some or all of Your Personal Information to the relevant third party (or its advisors) as part of any due diligence process or for the purpose of analyzing any proposed sale or re-organization. In addition, We may transfer Your Personal Information to a third party, such as a re-organized entity or third party purchaser, or an acquirer or licensee of an existing marketed product or investigational unapproved compound or asset, to be used for the same purposes as set forth in this Data Privacy Statement.
Besides the terms of this Data Privacy Statement, Ottobock may retain, disclose, and use personally identifiable information that You give Us through Your use of the Ottobock Services in compliance with the United States Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetics Act, the Canadian Food and Drugs Act and other applicable regulations and laws.
There may be times when Ottobock may be legally compelled to release Your Personal Information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law or regulation. Ottobock may also disclose Your Personal Information to third parties when needed to: enforce this Data Privacy Statement and the other rules about Your use of the Ottobock Services; protect the rights or property of our customers, the public, Ottobock or others, and to exercise, establish or defend Ottobock’s legal rights; protect someone's health, safety or welfare; comply with laws, regulations, court order or other legal processes.
Non-personal Information Ottobock Collects
Non-Personal Information is information We collect through this website that does not identify You as an individual person. It may include information about the type of web browser software You use; domain name from which You access the internet; internet address of the website from which You linked directly to our website; date and time You visited this website; pages You visited or search terms used on this website; or Personal Information that has been made anonymous by no longer identifying You as an individual.
Ottobock’s Use of Non-personal, Anonymous, and Aggregated Data
“Non-Personal Information” cannot identify You or be tied to You in any way. Therefore, there are no restrictions on how We can use or share Non-Personal Information. Ottobock is always trying to improve this website and the people who visit it, so We use Non-Personal Information to help Us make this website more useful to other visitors. We also will use Non-Personal Information for other business purposes including analyzing aggregated data about how visitors use this website.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, We may use, process, transfer, and store any data about individuals and customers or partners in an anonymous (or pseudonymous) and aggregated manner. We may combine Personal Information with other information collected online and offline, including information from third party sources. We may share anonymized data to help Us make Ottobock Services more useful to other visitors and to determine how visitors use the Ottobock Services.
Ottobock’s Do Not Track Policy
Do Not Track is a technology that enables users to opt out of tracking by websites they do not visit directly. Currently, Ottobock does not monitor or take any action with respect to Do Not Track technology as it interacts with the Ottobock Services.
Your Privacy Choices
You may have certain rights and choices regarding our processing of Your personal data. Depending on Your jurisdiction, applicable law may entitle You to additional consumer rights, including the right (with certain limitations and exceptions) to:
- Know the categories and/or specific pieces of Personal Information collected about You, including whether Your Personal Information is sold or disclosed, and with whom Your Personal Information was shared
- Access a copy of the Personal Information We retain about You
- Request deletion of Your Personal Information
We reserve the right to verify Your identity in connection with any requests regarding Personal Information to help ensure that We provide the information We maintain to the individuals to whom it pertains, and allow only those individuals or their authorized representatives to exercise rights with respect to that information. If You are an authorized agent making a request on behalf of a consumer, We may require and request additional information to verify that You are authorized to make that request.
We reserve the right to deny Your request if We cannot verify Your identify. Where We deny Your request in whole or in part, We will endeavor to inform You of the denial and provide an explanation of our actions and the reasons for the denial.
If You have a contract, agreement, account, or any other relationship with Ottobock and/or the Website, We reserve the right to collect, retain, and use Your Personal Information in accordance with the terms of the relationships until such time as the relationship is terminated or expired.
We will not restrict or deny You access to our Ottobock Services because of choices and requests You make in connection with Your Personal Information. Please note, certain choices may affect our ability to deliver the Ottobock Services. For example, if You sign up to receive certain communications by email, then ask Ottobock to delete all of Your information, We will be unable to send You those communications.
You may exercise any of Your rights in relation to Your Personal Information by contacting Us using the details provided under the “Contact Ottobock” section below.
How Ottobock Respects Your Privacy on Other Websites
This website may contain links to other Ottobock or non-Ottobock websites. The links are provided to You for Your convenience, but Ottobock does not review, control, or monitor the privacy practices of websites operated by others. This Privacy Statement does not apply to other websites, including other Ottobock websites not operated by our North American region. We are not responsible for the performance of websites operated by third parties or for Your business dealings with them. We recommend that You review each website's privacy practices and make Your own conclusions regarding the adequacy of these practices.
How Ottobock Communicates Directly with You
Ottobock may occasionally contact You by e-mail, mail or phone if You agree to that contact to provide information regarding products and information that may be of interest to You. In addition, certain Ottobock Services may allow You to communicate with Us using an online form. If Your communication requests a response from Us, We will contact You based on the information You provide and the preference You indicate. Our response may include Your Personal Information, including Your name, address, etc. We cannot guarantee that our e-mails to You will be secure from unauthorized intercepted by unrelated third parties.
How Ottobock Protects the Privacy of Children
How Ottobock Treats Website Security
It is Ottobock’s practice to take steps to secure our Ottobock Services; however, the confidentiality of information transmitted over the Internet cannot be guaranteed. We remind You that the transmission of information via the internet is not 100% secure or error-free. In particular, e-mail correspondence may not be secure, and You should carefully decide what type of information You send to Us. We urge You to exercise caution when transmitting Personal Information over the Internet, especially Personal Information related to Your health. Ottobock cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not gain access to Your information; therefore, when submitting Personal Information through the Ottobock Services, You must weigh both the benefits and the risks.
Cross Border Transfers
If you provide Personal Information through the Ottobock Services, You acknowledge and agree that such Personal Information (1) may be stored and processed, transferred between and accessed from the European Union, where Ottobock is headquartered, (2) may be transferred from Your current location to the United States offices and servers of Ottobock and the authorize third parties referred to herein located in the United States, Canada, and other countries which may not guarantee the same level of protection of personal data as the one in which You reside, and (3) may be accessed by the national security or law enforcement agencies of those countries. Without limiting any of the foregoing, We have the right to cooperate fully with any law enforcement authorities or court orders requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the Ottobock Services. However, Ottobock will handle Your Personal Information in accordance with this Data Privacy Statement, regardless of where Your Personal Information is stored/accessed.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, We may retain information for as long as the account of the customer for whom We collected the information is active, for at least six (6) months thereafter, or as long as is reasonably necessary to provide the Ottobock Services or as needed for other lawful purposes. We may retain cached or archived copies of information. We may retain anonymized or pseudonymized, aggregated data indefinitely, to the extent permitted under applicable law. We may be required to retain some data for a longer period of time because of various laws and regulations or because of contractual obligations. We also will retain information as long as reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
If You have questions about this Website Data Privacy Statement, or if You would like to request information on what Personal Information We may have of Yours, how We might be using Your Personal Information, or to request deletion of Your Personal Information subject to the terms of this Policy, please contact Us by:
- E-mailing Us at NACompliance@ottobock.com
- Calling our Compliance Hotline at 877-655-0326
- Sending a letter to the following address:
Attention: North America Data Privacy Coordinator
11501 Alterra Pkwy #600
Austin, TX 78758
In all communications to Ottobock, please include the email address used for registration (if applicable), the website address or the specific Ottobock Service to which You provided Personal Information and a detailed explanation of Your request. We will do our best to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner.
State Specific Laws
This section applies solely to the Personal Information of California residents as protected by the California Consumer Privacy Act “CCPA.” To exercise Your rights in relation to Your Personal Information as allowed for under the California Consumer Privacy Act.
“Consumer” means a natural person who is a California resident.
Personal Data of California Residents
“Personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes a particular consumer or household, including:
- Residential addresses
- Browsing history and IP addresses
- Employment information
- Biometric data
- Passport numbers
- Social security numbers
Information Ottobock Collects
Ottobock collects information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California consumer or household (“Personal Information”).
To see categories of Personal Information We collect:
- Website Data Privacy Statement section titled “Information Ottobock Collects”
How Ottobock Uses Personal Information
For additional information about how We use Personal Information:
- Website Data Privacy Statement section titled “How Ottobock Uses Personal Information”
How Ottobock Shares Personal Information
For additional information about the ways We share or sell Personal Information:
- Website Data Privacy Statement please see our section titled “How Ottobock Shares Personal Information”
How Ottobock Collects Personal Information
For additional information about the categories of sources of Personal Information:
- Website Data Privacy Statement please see our section titled “How Does Ottobock Collect Personal Information”
If You are a California resident and wish to know more about how Your data is used or stored or to have Your personal data deleted from records, please submit a request or inquiry to Us at NACompliance@ or call Us at 877-655-0326. ottobock.com
You do not have to create an account with Us to submit a request. Your request will be confirmed within ten days of receipt and We will respond within 45 days. If We need more than 45 days, We will notify You that Your request is being delayed.
We can only respond to Your request if it is verifiable. This means We are obligated to take reasonable steps to verify Your identity or Your authorized agent’s authority and Your right to access the information You request. We may ask for additional information that will help Us do so. We will only use that additional information in the verification process, and not for any other purpose.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to Your verifiable consumer request.
We do not offer any financial incentives associated with the Ottobock Services.
Summary of Certain Rights Provided to You by California Law:
- Right to Access: If You are a California consumer, You have the right to ask Us to send You the following information up to two times in a twelve-month period:
- The categories of personal data We have collected about You
- The categories of sources from which We collected the personal data
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting personal data
- The categories of third parties with whom We share personal data
- What categories of personal data We disclose about You for business purposes
- What categories of personal data We sell or exchange for consideration about You
- The specific pieces of Personal Information We have collected about You
- Right to Delete: If You are a California consumer, You have the right to ask Us to delete the personal data about You We have collected. We may deny the request if the information is necessary to:
- detect and protect against security incidents, malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or take against those responsible for such activity
- debug to identify and repair errors impairing intended functionality
- exercise free speech or another right provided for by law
- comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act
- engage in research in the public interest adhering to applicable ethics and privacy laws where the consumer has provided informed consent
- enable solely internal uses reasonably aligned with the consumer’s expectations based on the consumer’s relationship with Ottobock
- comply with a legal obligation; or
- otherwise use the information internally in a lawful manner compatible with the context in which the consumer provided the information
- Right to Opt-out of the sale of Personal Information: If a business sells Personal Information to third parties, California consumers have the right, at any time, to opt out of the sale or disclosure of their Personal Information to third parties. Ottobock does not sell Personal Information to third parties, except in conjunction with a corporate sale, merger, dissolution, or acquisition.
- Right to designate an authorized agent: You have the right to designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on Your behalf. To designate an authorized agent, please contact Us.
- Right to non-discrimination: The CCPA grants California consumers the right not to be discriminated against for exercising Your privacy rights. If You exercise Your privacy rights, We will not discriminate against You, for example, by denying You access to our Ottobock Services or charging You different rates or prices for the same Ottobock Services, unless that difference is reasonably related to the value provided by Your data.
Last updated: April 19, 2021