Hip prosthesis with: Helix 3D
Helix 3D: Closer to natural movement
A new dimension in walking
The Helix 3D prosthetic hip uses groundbreaking technology to give you a more natural walk. With its three-dimensional pelvic rotation, the Helix mimics the natural movement of the human body, unlike other prosthetic “hinged” hips.
The unique Helix design also helps you start your step more smoothly, improves toe clearance and makes it easier to extend your leg during walking.
The results are dramatic. You’ll spend much less energy thinking about your next step, and experience less pain in your back and joints.
Click on the red “hot spots” in the photo to dig deeper into the Helix system.
Go to the Advantages for you tab below to learn how the Helix 3D Hip system can transform the way you walk.
Technology that reproduces nature
Whether you’re standing or starting a step, the Helix rotates more naturally to your pelvis to compensate for the natural pelvic rotation that occurs. Inward and outward hip rotation is directly connected to flexion and extension of the hip; this prevents high stress on your prosthesis and socket and helps reduce stress on your residual limb.
The foot is the final piece for the Helix system. Any of the from Ottobock is a good match for a C-Leg or Genium. You get stability and control as well as outstanding dynamics, ready for everyday life and activities.
To ensure a secure, comfortable fit, your socket will be created to uniquely fit your limb. The fit of the socket is so important that people can have trouble walking with the prosthesis – all because of a socket fit problem! To prevent that, you should work with your prosthetist to make sure your socket fits perfectly. Ottobock uses a special flexible yet strong material to make hip sockets extra comfortable. Learn more about sockets at Prosthetics 101.
Smooth, natural strides
The tube adapter does more than hold up your prosthetic knee. Measured and cut to fit your height, the tube adapter contains a “moment sensor” that measures the movement of your ankle. From the moment your heel strikes the ground until your toe lifts off, this sensor lets the microprocessor know exactly where you are in your walking cycle and provides the appropriate support.
What you need to know
Advantages for you
- More natural walking. Just like the human hip, the Helix produces a three-dimensional hip movement to compensate for pelvic rotation. The hydraulics provide a smooth transition as you flex your hip or extend your leg. The polycentric design also helps you to avoid compensatory movements that can be required when using less sophisticated hip joints. The result is a symmetrical, natural walking pattern for you.
- More flexibility. The Helix will flex up to 130º, making everyday activities like putting on shoes or getting into a car easier.
- Step easier. You’ll find it noticeably easier to begin your step with the Helix’s integrated springs. The energy stored in the springs is released as you swing your leg forward to complete your step, helping compensate for your missing hip muscles and reducing the amount of energy needed for walking.
- Stability tailored to your needs. The Helix offers an individualized stride length setting to give you a smoother, more stable step to better match your sound side as well as reduce the risk of falling.
- Every step is smooth and secure. Choose a Triton foot from Ottobock to complete your Genium system:
- the lightweight Triton carbon fiber foot with exceptionally smooth control;
- the Triton Vertical Shock (VS) with great shock absorption in a compact design;
- the Triton Heavy Duty, robust and waterproof, for particularly challenging conditions), or
- the Triton Low Profile, with especially low structural height for those who need the extra room, or
- the Triton Harmony, with integrated vacuum technology
How the Helix works
To see the Helix in action -- watch the video at the top of this page: “Helix Hip users talk about the Helix difference." Greater stability and increased mobility are two of the advantages Chandler and Bob have experienced with the Helix hip system – and it shows as they explore nature and walk hills and stairs with little worry about falling.
When you are fit with a Helix hip, you will also need one of Ottobock's microprocessor-controlled knee joints, the C-Leg or the Genium. One of the Triton feet will complete your Helix prosthesis system.
Microprocessor prosthetic knees
Choose one of these Triton feet from Ottobock to complete your Helix system:
The lightweight Triton carbon fiber foot with exceptionally smooth control
The Triton Vertical Shock (VS) with great shock absorption in a compact design
The Triton Low Profile, with especially low structural height for those who need the extra room
The Triton Heavy Duty, robust and waterproof, for particularly challenging conditions)
The Triton Harmony with integrated vacuum technology
Distal connection - Pyramid adapter
Max. flexion angle - 130°
Weight of the joint - 990 g
Weight of connection technology - 275 g
System height - 146 mm
Material - Aluminium
Mobility Grade - 2 and 3
Max. body weight - 220 lbs/100 kg
- download 1.66 MB | PDF
Genium Patient Information
(FYI, either Genium or C-Leg must be worn with a Helix Hip)
- download 895.10 kB | PDF
C-Leg Patient Information
More information about the C-Leg microprocessor knee
- download 213.21 kB | PDF
Helix Clinical Study 1
Helix Clinical Study 1
- download 447.68 kB | PDF
Helix Clinical Study 2
Helix Clinical Study 2
Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Your conversations and goal setting with your prosthetist will drive the decision about which system will best support your activities. If you don’t have a prosthetist you see regularly, you can contact us for assistance in finding one in your area.
Except for certain products available at www.mobilitydirect.com, patients cannot purchase products directly from Ottobock. Ottobock products are generally prescribed by physicians or clinicians, who provide the product to the patient.
If you’d like to be fit with an Ottobock product, please talk to your physician or clinician (orthotist, prosthetist, therapist, or Rehab Technology Specialist).
If you have further questions, please call 800 328 4058 and ask for our Consumer Support Specialist.
You and your prosthetist will put together the system that’s right for you. Look in the Components tab on this page to see the options.
There are many ways to cover the cost of a Helix system. Check out the Financial Coverage section of this website.
Ottobock has an active presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. See all the ways to connect with us.
See the Technical Info tab on this page.
Any of Ottobock’s Triton family of feet works great with the Helix. Look in the Components tab on this page to see the options.
Not finding what you are looking for? Please contact us!