News and Notes
Catch up on the latest
Take a moment and read the latest stories about people who use our products, events Ottobock attends and organizations that are doing good work. Feel free to share a particularly interesting tidbit with friends and family, too. And, if you have something to share, please send it to us.
Please contact Melissa Langley at Melissa.Langley@ or 512 806 2852 with any questions you may have. ottobock.com
Ottobock’s Harmony® P4 HD Mechanical Pump Achieves Higher Levels of Vacuum for a Broader Population
AUSTIN, Texas (September 25, 2017) – Ottobock Healthcare has launched the Harmony P4 HD (Heavy Duty) vacuum pump, which is a small mechanical pump that can help amputees achieve higher levels of vacuum with fewer steps than before. The P4 HD is designated K2 – K4 activity levels and designed to accommodate the needs of patients between 110 and 330 pounds, benefiting a larger patient population in conjunction with other models.
Requiring just 4½-inches of clearance, the Harmony P4 HD pump is laminated directly into the amputee’s socket. The new design eliminates the need for external tubing and keeps the pump proximal in the prosthesis. As with the Harmony P4, the P4 HD pump features dual vacuum chambers to help achieve vacuum with fewer steps while still providing torsion and vertical shock absorption.
Ottobock pioneered active vacuum technology to help improve prosthetic suspension with clinically proven benefits, including:
- Limb volume management(1), which can reduce the need to add socks
- Reduced pistoning between the limb and socket(2)
- Improved residual limb health(3)
- Improved balance, reducing risk of falls and improved walking(4)
The 4R181 Harmony P4 HD expands Ottobock’s broad portfolio of vacuum options designed to meet various patient needs, including the Harmony P4, Harmony E2 electronic pump, and DVS – Dynamic Vacuum.
“Harmony P4 HD is a terrific example of creating innovative solutions for amputees,” said Brad Ruhl, President of US HealthCare and North America Prosthetics for Ottobock. “The Harmony P4 HD pump refines active vacuum technology into a smaller package that helps maintain a better connection with the prosthesis.”
1. Kahle et al. 2014, Sanders et al. 2011, Street et al. 2006, Goswami et al. 2003, Board et al. 2001
2. Darter et al. 2016, Kahle et al. 2014, Kahle et al. 2013, Beil et al. 2002
3. Kahle et al. 2014, Hoskins et al. 2014, Traballesi et al. 2012, Brunelli et al. 2009
4. Samitier et al. 2014, Kahle et al. 2014, Kahle et al. 2013, Ferraro et al. 2011